Monday, November 5, 2007

Boy on a Hill Top


I found this book at the local used book shop and was immediately taken by its illustrations. The book is printed on a heavy stock with lots of tooth that gives the feeling that each page is a painting. Having run the group assignments in six groups of five, I felt what we needed was not only a new book, but a new approach to the team project. So being the instigator I enjoy being, I made class 56 do this as one large crew - the entire class working as a unit to complete the book from beginning to end, keeping close to the vision of the original art work and story.

My first class with the students is the lecture introduction to the course and review of past student work. I always wait until the very end to introduce the illustrations and assigned teams. By this point, I've usually got them hooked into the idea and they're excited to find out their groups. When I announced that they would be doing it as one team they were all kind of shocked. I later learned in the lab through the other classes that there was quite the drama brewing around this project. Ahhh... the sound of production.

Class 56 rose to the occasion. Hats off to all of you!

Peace,

Casey

No comments: